• Welkom bij Audiofreaksforum, Audio, Hifi, Luidsprekers, Buizen. Graag inloggen of registreren.

Welke muziek staat er nu op ?

Gestart door Tdo, 26 augustus 2004, 20:48:08

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

tito

Citaat van: morph op  1 juni 2020, 10:41:30Zeer waarschijnlijk is er juist bij het maken van "Trout Mask Replica" geen enkel geestverruimend (dan wel verdovend) middel  gebruikt.

Ben daar toch nog niet zo stellig in.
Herinner me nog `n uitspraak over de overschatte “aspirientjes”
En volgens Mike Barnes Captain Beefheart -The Biography: He had written a significant number of the lyrics for Trout Mask Replica after the group's hash smoking rituals, but that didn't make him a drug artist.

Daarbij heeft Zappa weliswaar de productie van de plaat gedaan, maar gespeeld en met grote zekerheid Beefheart`s piano-frutsels vertaald naar enigszins werkbare muziek werd door de
Magic Band gedaan.
En die had al meer dan genoeg aan één dictator..

Citaat van: Opa Spylac op  1 juni 2020, 07:18:36En ik rook al heel lang niet meer, dus zal het waarschijnlijk ook wel nooit meer gebeuren...  :'(

Je kunt `t ook eten.
Heb nog ergens `n recept van `n verrukkelijke slagroomtaart met vruchten.
Heb je niets in de gaten, maar na `n halfuurtje hè.. 

morph

Zeer of niet zeer, het is voor zover ik weet waarschijnlijk.

"The high point of our relationship (according to Rolling Stone -- and aren't they some kind of authority on these matters?) was making the "Trout Mask Replica" album together in 1969. Don is not technically oriented, so, first I had to help him figure out what he wanted to do, and then, from a practical standpoint, how to execute his demands. I wanted to do the album as if it were an anthropological field recording -- in his house. The whole band was living in a small house in the San Fernando Valley (we could use the word cult in here). I was working with Dick Kunc, the recording engineer on "Uncle Meat" and "Cruising With Ruben & The Jets". To make remote recordings in those days, Dick had a Shure eight-channel mixer remounted in a briefcase. He could sit in a corner at a live gig with earphones on and adjust the levels, and have the outputs of the briefcase mixer feeding a Uher portable tape recorder. I had been using that technique with the Mothers of Invention for road tapes. I thought it would be great to go to Don's house with this portable rig and put the drums in the bedroom, the bass clarinet in the kitchen and the vocals in the bathroom: complete isolation, just like in a studio -- except that the band members probably would feel more at home, since they were at home. We taped a few selections that way, and I thought they sounded terrific, but Don got paranoid, accused me of trying to do the album on the cheap, and demanded to go into a real recording studio. So we moved the whole operation to Glendale, into a place called Whitney, the studio I was using at that time -- owned by the Mormon church. The basic tracks were cut -- now it was time for Don's vocals. Ordinarily a singer goes in the studio, puts earphones on, listens to the track, tries to sing in time with it and away you go. Don couldn't tolerate the earphones. He wanted to stand in the studio and sing as loud as he could -- singing along with the audio leakage coming through the three panes of glass which comprised the control-room window. The chances of him staying in sync were nil -- but that's the way the vocals were done. Usually, when you record a drum set, the cymbals provide part of the 'air' at the top end of the mix. Without a certain amount of this frequency information, mixes tend to sound claustrophobic. Don demanded that the cymbals have pieces of corrugated cardboard mounted on them (like mutes), and that circular pieces of cardboard be laid over the drum heads, so Drumbo [ John French ] wound up flogging stuff that went "thump! boomph! doof!" After it was mixed, I did the editing and assembly in my basement. I finished at approximately 6:00 A.M. on Easter Sunday, 1969. "
Uit: Frank Zappa - The Real Frank Zappa Book (blz. 51-53) of Het echte Frank Zappa boek (blz. 45-46)

Stukjes uit recensies:

"When Beefheart learned of the opportunity to make an album totally without restrictions, he sat down at the piano and in eight and a half hours wrote all twenty-eight songs included on Trout Mask. When I asked him jokingly why it took that long, he replied, "Well, I'd never played the piano before and I had to figure out the fingering." With a stack of cassettes going full time, Don banged out "Frownland," "Dachau Blues," "Veterans' Day Poppy," and all of the others complete with words. When he is creating, this is exactly how Don works --- fast and furious. "I don't spend a lot of time thinking. It just comes through me. I don't know how else to explain it." In his box of cassettes there are probably dozens of albums of Trout Mask Replica quality or better. The trouble is that once the compositions are down it takes him a long time to teach them to his musicians. In this case it took almost a year of rehearsal."
Rolling Stone, 1969

""What can we do?" a Straight P.R. man asked me. "Beefheart is a genius, but a very difficult man to work with. All we can do is try to be as reasonable as possible." Straight's brass recall that during the recording of the parts of Trout Mask which were done in Beefheart's home, Don van Vliet asked for a tree surgeon to be in residence. The trees around the house, he believed, might become frightened of the noise and fall over. Straight refused to hire the tree surgeon, but later received a bill for $250 for such services. After the sessions were over Beefheart has hired his own tree doctor to give the oaks and cedars in his yard a thorough medical check up --- his way of thanking them for not falling down."
Rolling Stone, 1970

morph

Scram C Baby - Give Us A Kiss
lp

Jeronimo

1 juni 2020, 16:13:00 #104898 Laatste wijziging: 1 juni 2020, 16:32:28 door Jeronimo
Citaat van: Duclaasie op  1 juni 2020, 10:44:08
Citaat van: Jeronimo op 30 mei 2020, 18:32:04The Teskey Brothers ‎â€" Live At The Forum (2LP, blauw vinyl, 2020 lim. edition, Australië). Melbourne, November 2019. Zes nummers meer dan de afgeslankte Europese vinyl uitgave.

Jealeous guy (John Lennon), de enige cover op dit album
Dank voor het delen, ben benieuwd naar die plaat. Is het een beetje knap uitgevoerd en opgenomen?
Jazeker. De geluidweergave is prima, terwijl de rauwheid van de muziek bewaard is gebleven. Wat dat betreft knap gedaan. Ik heb een ontzettende hekel aan de egocentrische en onbeschaafde publieksparticipatie van Amerikanen en Doe Maar meegezang bij live-registraties, het Australische publiek hier gaat die kant ook enigszins op, maar het blijft grotendeels ondersteunend en zorgt voor prettige kroeg sfeer. Op het randje voor mij, maar ik ben op dit punt wellicht wat al te gevoelig. Even afgezien van de somtijds rauwe soul dat ik geweldig vind, de vocals zijn van hetzelfde melodieuze karakter als ik bijvoorbeeld van Crowded House en Powderfinger ken. Australische signatuur? Dikke aanrader wat mij betreft.

Jeronimo

Luka Bloom compilatie op CD-R (Fujifilm audio). Nummers van The accoustic motorbike (1991), Turf (1994), Riverside (1990), Salty heaven (1996). Nummers waarin zijn kenmerkende vocale gehinnik of niet aanwezig is of niet storend op mij werkt.

I believe in you

morph

Béla Bartók - Die 6 Streichquartette
Tokyo String Quartet
3lp

<-- klik voor groter

Jeronimo

13th Floor Elevators ‎â€" Reverberations (CD, 2004, Duitsland)

morph

The Beach Boys - The Smile Sessions
5cd - 2lp - 2 singles box

Jeronimo

Sting Featuring The Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra ‎â€" Live In Berlin (CD, DVD, 2010, EU)

Desert rose

Jeronimo

Mandrill ‎â€" Composite Truth (LP, 1972, US)

Fencewalk

Rogers Hifi

Mijn eigen internetstream( in flac) aan `t draaien. Nee...helaas zijn er geen slots meer over voor luisteraars.

Op dit moment Badbadnotgood - In your eyes gevolgd door Kat Edmonson- Charade

Tom!

Geluid is een van de meest overschatte eigenschappen van muziek.
--- E. Schönberger

Jeronimo

Fleetwood Mac ‎â€" The Vaudeville Years Of Fleetwood Mac 1968 To 1970 (2CD, 1998, UK/EU). Vele niet eerder uitgegeven versies en outtakes van de opnamen met wat gegein tussendoor.

Blues in b flat minor (Before the beginning zonder de vocals)

CD1

CD2

morph

Neil Young - Fork In The Road
dvd-a

RenéN

Citaat van: Rogers Hifi op 31 mei 2020, 19:42:45Ik lees het nu pas, Gelijk maar even de cd-single erbij gepakt. Leuke bijkomstigheid is dat we samen met hem ooit  bij een Grieks restaurant in Sittard hebben gegeten. Denk ik altijd aan terug als ik hem hoor.

Bijzondere artiest met een lekker rauw gitaarspel. Dat zijn dochter Trixie overigens geweldig van hem heeft overgenomen. Ik heb hem ooit in Vera in Groningen voor het eerst gehoord en was meteen om....